At least a month before switching to Google Apps email
- Which real person checks that email address.
- How this person accesses the account. Do they download their mail, or do they view it right at the server (mail.yourdomainname.com) using a browser?
- If they haven’t been downloading their email using a program like Outlook or Thunderbird, do you need to migrate their past emails for them? Or are they willing to let go of all their old messages?
- What devices do they use to check email?
- Do they understand the timing of the transition? (More on this below.)
|Real Name||Software||Devices||Need to migrate old messages?||OK’d Date?|
Three weeks in advance
“We’re migrating our mail server on this date: DATE (Friday-Monday) and the changeover can lead to some delays in mail delivery. Is this a weekend you’re planning to send or receive a lot of email, or sending any time-sensitive email?”“Switching to Google Apps will make it easier to deal with your email, but that it means you may have to learn new things. Users that are using the mail-based systems at our server like Horde or Roundcube will experience the most disruption. These users will have to re-create their address books, their email signatures and if you have any saved message templates, you will have to recreate them in Gmail. How familiar are you with the Gmail interface?”